Recently...

June 17, 2011

lava salon.

A couple of Sundays ago, I headed downtown.



To Clifton's Cafeteria, to be exact. To attend the LAVA Sunday Salon, brought to you by the good and eccentric folks who bring you the Esotouric Bus Tours.

I took the Esotouric's Raymond Chandler tour late last year, and it was a lot of fun. Tour guides Richard Schave, his wife Kim Cooper and their friend Joan Renner put on quite a show.

They are all so passionate about L.A.'s offbeat history and literature, film noir and true life crime. Joan is probably my favorite Facebook friend, and her web site Vintage Powder Room is great. She's the only person I know who is as passionate about vintage cosmetics collectibles as she is about bloody murders.

Sunday's salon focused on The Dominator, a ship wreck off Palos Verdes and the United Lodge of Theosophy, which interests me because it's the closest thing I've found to Transcendentalism, and because I just love a good cult.


Then I drove over to East L.A. to try a little something called a Cemitas Poblanas.




It's a lot like a torta, and it's pretty delicious.


Then it was back to Studio City to taste test some vegan ice cream. It was pretty good, BUT my cemitas poblanas was $5, while my small soft serve vegan ice cream came to $7. Crazy.

No comments

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

UP