Recently...

September 20, 2015

this is boston.

Hey there. Back on a sweltering 100+ degree Sunday not because I like to work on the weekend, but because I've just been through a little bout of sickness, and there's something I wanted to make sure I told you about.

Today I'd like to talk about another great art exhibit on display at the Zevitas Marcus Gallery in Culver City. "This is Boston Not L.A." takes its name from the legendary 80s punk compilation that defined the Boston hardcore scene. While I was never a die-hard punk, I'm fascinated by the differences in the genre from city to city--Boston to D.C. (my personal fave) to Minneapolis to L.A. and Long Beach--and I'm sure there are many more.

But we're talking art here. The artists featured in this exhibition are all based in Boston or have strong ties to the city. I had the pleasure of taking in the exhibit recently, and I wanted to share these fascinating works with you. "This is Boston, Not L.A." is on view through October 31st. Let's take a look.

Displaced, 2014 © Cristi Rinklin

No Big Deal, We'll Go in Style, 2015 © Joe Wardell

Getting Nowhere, 2014 © Joe Wardell

Rhino, 2015 © Sheila Gallagher

Grace (Pink), 2014 © David X. Levine
the ambivalent, 2009-2013 © Steve Locke
the coward 2010-2012 © Steve Locke
the passenger, 2010-2012 © Steve Locke

Untitled, 2013 © Alex Lukas
Untitled, 2012 © Alex Lukas
All art via Zevitas Marcus Gallery

A few more things to love this week:

Clifton's Brookdale Cafeteria re-opens Monday, September 21st. Via L.A. Weekly.

Photo via LA Weekly

Shannon and the Clams play the El Rey, Wednesay, September 23rd.



And Elad Lassry opens a new show at David Kordansky, Thursday, September 24th.

Untitled (Bird), 2015 © Elad Lassry

That's all for today. I'll be back tomorrow with more to love. xoL

No comments

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

UP