Recently...

September 14, 2015

flyover.

Hello!

This weekend I had the pleasure of attending an opening for two wonderful artists at the George Billis Gallery in Culver City. Sarah Williams' "Flyover Territory," and "Thousand Skies" by L.A.'s Adam Harrison both struck a personal note. I come from a flyover state (Minnesota) and now live in Los Angeles. 

Sarah Williams hails from Missouri, and her paintings on tiny clapboard homes, lonely gas stations and abandoned buildings along country routes could be considered the flyover territories of "flyover territory. I love her houses decorated with subtle variations of Christmas lights and those with tv sets glowing through the windows. The beg the viewer to peer more closely to see what show is on--just like you do when you're walking a neighborhood street. Admit it--you've done this before.






All art © Sarah Williams via George Billis Gallery

The places in Adam Harrison's paintings felt like the ones I had driven by on the way to the opening--alleyways off Venice and Pico, mission churches, industrial areas, SoCal-style apartment buildings, along with some barely-furnished interiors. Many of these sights fly right by when I'm on the way to work or the store. But I remember being new to the city--how empty and bleak it could feel, both on the inside and out. These paintings take me back to that--in a good way--a part of my history in what is now my hometown.






All art © Adam Harrison via George Billis Gallery

Both artists are showing at George Billis until October 24th. I highly recommend taking a look. That's all for today, but I'll be back soon with more to love. xoL

No comments

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

UP